AB 540 / Dream Act
Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) is a California State Law that allows certain nonresident students (U.S. Citizens, individuals holding immigrant visa, and undocumented aliens) attending California Community Colleges who meet certain requirements to be exempted from nonresident fees. By making college more affordable, AB 540 has had a significant impact on the lives of many students who have dreams of attending college.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the AB 540 designation:
- Attended a California high school (public and private) for three or more years, or
- Attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle, and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years.
- Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Submit an affidavit (a written promise) to the college or university where they plan to attend.
- Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.).
California Dream Act
The California Dream Act (AB 130 & AB 131) allows eligible AB 540 students to apply for and receive private scholarships funded through public universities, state-administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. AB 540 students are not eligible to apply for FAFSA, however California created the CA Dream Act Application for eligible AB 540 students in the place of FAFSA. Students should submit the CA Dream Act every year by March 2.
**To apply for any or all of the financial aid programs, requiring the California Dream Application, you only need to complete and submit ONE application.
Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine your California Dream Act eligibility.
Learn more about the Dream Act: California Dream Act Fact Sheet.