What is LGBTQIA+?
LGBTQIA+ is an acronym that means Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Two-
spirit, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Ally, A-gender, Bi-gender, Gender Queer, Pansexual, Pangender, and Gender Variant. Keep an open mind because this is continuously evolving.
Helpful Hints for Interacting with LGBTQIA+ Community
- Not everyone fits neatly inside of a cookie cutter
- People want to be themselves
- Curiosity does not equal open mindedness
- Make no assumptions
- Do not out LGBTQIA+ individuals without their permission
- Do not assume a LGBTQIA+ individual has a crush on you or anyone else
- Do not say: "We all knew"; "You just haven't met the right one yet"; "We still love you anyway"; "You're handsome/beautiful to be a homosexual"
- Do not assume one's preferred gender pronoun
- Respect gender pronouns
- Advocate for gender neutral bathrooms
- Do not ask a trans person what their "real name" is
- Do not deny trans individuals access to bathrooms
- Do not ask trans individuals what their genitals look like
- Do not say “Real Woman” or “Real Man”, instead say transwoman or transman
- Do not say transsexual, transvestite, tranny, transgendered, or “A trans”, instead say transgender
- Do not say “he-she”, “she-male”, or “it”, instead use their asserted pronouns, or “they” if not sure
- Anti-LGBTQIA+ comments and jokes are harmful and offensive
- Believe that ALL people regardless of gender identity/and or sexual orientation should be treated with respect
- Do take responsibility for your own education
- Making mistakes is part of learning how to be an ally; acknowledge, apologize and learn from them
- What’s heard here stays here, but what’s learned here leaves here.