Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Transfer Center:

Transfer Center Terminology

Advanced Placement (AP)

Courses and exams that students can take while still in high school to receive college credit. At IVC, students may earn degree and general education credit for AP tests with scores of 3, 4, or 5. Students must have official copies of their exam results sent to the IVC Admissions Office.

Application Fee Waiver

The fee waiver provides freedom from payment of the admission application fee; for those students who have demonstrated financial hardship.

Application Update

Online updates to records and personal data after submitting a university application. Required by all UC campuses, with some variation in procedures.

Articulation Agreement

An official written agreement that identifies courses at one college that are comparable to or accepted in lieu of specific course requirements at another college. Articulation agreements between IVC and other schools list courses that meet major and course requirements and are transferrable.


A web-based student transfer information system which contains information about how courses taken at a California Community College can be applied when transferred to a University of California or a California State University campus.

Associate Degree

The degree awarded by a community college upon satisfactory completion of 60 units of college work, including general education, major, and other specified requirements. This may be an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree, depending on the student’s major. The AA-T/AS-T is also available as a special transfer degree ensuring guaranteed transfer to the CSU system.

Bachelor’s Degree (or Baccalaureate Degree)

A degree awarded by a four-year college or university after satisfactory completion of a specified program of study, usually a minimum of 120 semester units. The degree may be a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BS).


An important formal process to verify the student’s completion of college work, specifically lower-division general education requirements. IVC will certify completion of the IGETC or CSU General Education pattern to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campus. Students must request (or “petition”) that the Office of Admissions and Records indicate completion on their transcripts.


A condition of enrollment consisting of any course that a student is required to take simultaneously in order to enroll in another course.

Concurrent Enrollment

The process by which an IVC student can attend another educational institution part-time, or a student from another educational institution can attend IVC part-time. Students must complete a Concurrent Enrollment Form.

Cross Enrollment

IVC students have the unique opportunity to attend California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campuses while they are still at IVC. This program is especially useful for community college students who might want to transfer to a local CSU or UC, allowing them to take a course at that level each semester at a very low cost. Students need to fill out the Application for Cross Enrollment form and turn it in to the Admissions Office.

CSU General Education Certification

Prospective transfer students attending a community college may complete this series – or “pattern” – of courses to satisfy the lower-division general education requirements for a California State University (CSU). Students must file for CSU evaluation in the Office of Admissions and Records early in their final semester at IVC.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

A program designed to provide information regarding admission, financial aid and supportive services to current and/or prospective students who may have economic, educational or environmental disadvantages.


Courses that are not required for the major or for general education but may be used toward fulfilling the total unit requirement for graduation.

Filing Period

The period of time during which campuses will accept applications for students wishing to enroll in a particular semester or quarter.

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Application that determines eligibility for financial aid at an institution. The U.S. Department of Education offers a variety of student financial aid programs for assistance with paying for the costs of college attendance. Aid is from both federal and state programs, and can be a combination of grant and loan options.

General Education (GE) Requirements

A specific group of courses required of all students in college, regardless of major, who are working toward a degree. Sometimes referred to as “breadth” requirements, these include courses in the natural sciences, social and behavioral sciences, arts and humanities, English composition, math, communication, and critical thinking.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

A measure of academic achievement obtained by dividing a student’s total grade points by the number of units attempted.

Honors to Honors Program at UC Irvine

UCI offers guaranteed admission and other benefits to those who participate in the Honors Program, complete 5 honors courses and maintain a 3.7 GPA.

IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum)

A pattern of courses that community college students may complete to satisfy the lower-division general education requirements at both the UC and the CSU system. Students must file for IGETC evaluation in the Office of Admissions and Records early in their final semester at IVC.

Impacted Major or Campus

When the number of applications received is expected to be larger than the number of spaces available. Additional criteria, such as higher GPA minimums or additional major preparation courses may then be considered in making an admission decision, and students must apply during a specified time period.

Independent College/University

Also known as private universities, these are free from direct financial control by the state. In California, there are more than 70 accredited independent colleges and universities. Thousands of other exist throughout the nation.

Intent to Register/Enroll

After applying to a four-year college or university and once letters of acceptance have been issued, these institutions generally require confirmation that the student is planning to attend a specific school. Many also require a deposit payment.

Lower Division

College courses at the freshman and sophomore levels. Community colleges offer lower division courses.

Lower Division Major Preparation

A set of courses required for a major that sets the foundation for upper division coursework. In general, students are encouraged, sometimes required, to complete as many lower division major courses prior to transfer.


A planned series of courses in one primary field of study designed to develop special skills or expertise.

Master’s Degree

Awarded upon the completion of a prescribed program beyond the Bachelor’s degree level, typically 35-50 additional units. This may be a Master of Arts (MA) or a Master of Science (MS) degree, depending on the student’s major.


A secondary field of study outside of the major, often requiring substantially less coursework.


A presentation explaining college policies, programs, and services. This is often offered online.


A requirement that must be met before enrolling in a particular course (usually an entrance test score, a prior course, or previously demonstrated knowledge). The course descriptions in a catalog and the class details section of the course schedule identify course prerequisites, if any.

Provisional or Conditional Admission

Most four-year institutions will initially admit students on a provisional or conditional basis. This simply means that admission may be revoked if the student does not submit final transcripts from their community college showing that they have fulfilled all transfer requirements.

Residence Requirements

States that a certain number of units must be taken on the campus from which the student expects to receive a degree.

Resident/Non-Resident Status

Student status based on place of legal residence. Non-residents (out of state) often have to pay higher fees and meet higher admission requirements at state financed colleges and universities. To be classified as a California resident, a student must meet certain requirements, including living in the state for at least one year and one day prior to enrollment.

Rolling Admissions

An admission decision given by the college as soon as possible after an application is completed. No notification deadline is specified.


A record of college work showing the units attempted, units completed, final grades, and grade point averages. An IVC transcript will reflect only those courses taken at IVC. An official transcript bears a seal of the college and signature of a designated college official. An unofficial transcript may be a copy of an official transcript or a print-out from Mysite under “Academic History.”

TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee)

A college or university may guarantee transfer admission upon the successful completion of specified required courses. IVC has TAG agreements with UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis, UC Merced, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, and UC Riverside. Please see a counselor for more information.

Transfer Courses

Courses from a community college that are accepted for credit by four-year colleges. At IVC, courses numbered 1-99 are UC-transferable and courses numbered 1-199 are CSU-transferable.


A number that indicates the amount of credit given to a course, usually on the basis of one unit for each lecture hour per week or for every two to three laboratory hours per week.


Refers to a student – or student work completed – in the freshman through senior years of college.

Upper Division

University courses at the junior and senior levels.​